Interesting People mailing list archives

from one of my Hong Kong staudents who also spent a year in Singapore

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 17:50:36 -0500

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 93 17:04:22 EDT
From: mtam () gradient cis upenn edu (Ivan Ming Chit Tam)
Posted-Date: Tue, 29 Jun 93 17:04:22 EDT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Re:  PETERS: NOW IS NOT TIME FOR U.S. TO TURN ITS BACK ON ASIAN
JUGGERNAUT

Yup, I think this is the prime time for USA to help out the Asia countries in
their quest to market economies. At the same time it is perhaps also worth it
to look at how Asian's industries are managed. Surely, US can take this
opportunities to build up good relationships with these countries,
both for political and economic reasons. And if US doesn't other developed
countries will.

Nevertheless, I think at times it will help if the government can seperate the
idealogy (human rights) with econmics, understanding that a typical Asian
country does not start by having full blown democracy (look at the turmoil
in Soviet Union). Once the basics of living are assured, people will have
time to think about what is a good system and hence pususe the ideal.

I think US is the only country with most experience in market economies,
perhaps it should use this aspect as the base of her future global leadership.
Wouldn't this model fit better for both the global leadership fans and the
home economic fans. (Surely, there must be a lot of subtle issues, that I
don't understand).

Just a two cents opinion.