Interesting People mailing list archives

Used 1200 or 2400 Baud Modem Needed for High School

From: Richard Budd <BUDD@CSPGAS11.BITNET>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 17:47:50 EDT

[Moderator's Note: The authenticity of this posting has been verified.
Mr. Budd was the person who forwarded the letter to us from the
students in Poland a few months ago.  PAT]

Next September, I start teaching and developing a computer center for
a gymnasium in eastern Slovakia.  The school just received three IBM
PS/1's from the government.  It was one of the last schools in the
country to get new computers.  In this case, last was definitely best.

The gymnasium is located in Kral'ovsky Chlmec, a town of about 10,000
people located near the Ukrainian and Hungarian borders.  The students
are very anxious about the chance to communicate with their
counterparts in United States and Germany next year.  For good reason
too, because before 1990, this was a "closed city."  The reason was
that KC lay only six miles from the then Soviet border and the main
railroad line from Kiev and Moscow into Czechoslovakia passed just to
the south.  There is also a strategic hill above the town from whose
summit you can see sub-Carpathian Ukraine, Hungary, and, on a clear
day, Poland.  I have had the opportunity to climb up it and poke
around the abandoned military bunkers located there.

The school's director, English department, and I are currently asking
for a computer account from the Technical University of Kosice.  The
University is located 100 kilometers from the gymnasium.  With the
account, we would have access to electronic mail and the network.  The
school and its students have agreed to pay telephone charges for
dialing the computer account from the gymnasium.

Could any TELECOM Digest readers out there with a 1200 or 2400 baud
Hayes-compatible modem (s)he no longer needs be willing to contribute
it to this gymnasium.  One or two modems would be all the school
wants.  The economic situation in the region is bad, and the school is
not that well financed.  The director and students who would use
e-mail have agreed to pay the telephone charges between Kral'ovsky
Chlmec and Kosice to access the computer account.

The gymnasium plans to participate in two global discussion groups
which a high school in Ohio is organizing.  Members of the discussion
group include secondary schools in the United States, and Germany.
The students want as well to correspond with a high school in New York
State with the intention of organizing an exchange between the two
schools in 1994.  A second-year class also would like to communicate
with one of its members, who next year is attending a Philadelphia
magnet school.  He is the first exchange student going to America the
gymnasium can remember.  Finally, we may have some more young people
reading TELECOM Digest.

The program for next year shapes up to be exciting if over the summer
we put all the equipment together and get everything running.  We
certainly hope the readers of TELECOM Digest can help us out with your
technical knowledge as well as providing the school's computer center
with a modem.

Please contact me at either at <budd@cspgas11.bitnet> or at
<klub@maristb.bitnet> if you can contribute a modem.  You may either
send it to the Prague address or directly to:

Sandor Czehmester
ulica L. Kossutha 63
07 701 Kral. Chlmec
SLOVAKIA