Interesting People mailing list archives

First to file, any comments

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 06:34:23 -0500

From: ack () skylee com (Arthur C. Kyle)

I'm posting this for a friend who has no net access, so please direct
inquiries to the address below. All disclaimers apply.

---

Please help preserve the rights of the individual inventor, universities,
and the small business firm!

The US Patent Office, since its inception in 1790, has always used the
First to Invent rule to grant patents. However, there is now an attempt by
the US Congress to change this to the First to File rule in order to
follow the European system.

We feel that this will grossly and unfairly penalize individual inventors,
universities, and small research firms, traditionally the backbone of US
entrepreneurship and creativity, and will benefit only multinational
corporations with much more funding, legal assistance, and international
reach. The First to File rule negates the fundamental Constitutional
concept that reserves to inventors the exclusive right to their
inventions. It is this concept that has been the foundation of US patent
protection, but not for long if Congress has its way.

We would like your help in defeating the change to First to File. Please
send us your letters of support for First to Invent to the address below,
and write to your congressional representatives expressing your opposition
to First to File.

First to Invent has been endorsed by the Association of University
Technology Managers.

Please write to:

Small Entity Patent Owners Association
295 Stevenson Drive