Interesting People mailing list archives

##6 Other News, Etc. of Interest

From: Various <Various>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 22:00:01 PDT

#A: SMRM Conference, NYC, Aug 15-20
#B: YSN Moniker/Nickname [2]
#C: Another solution to the puzzle

==========

#A: SMRM Conference, NYC, Aug 15-20
From: joer () rad hfh edu (Joe Roebuck)

  I am attending the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Annual
Meeting in New York City on August 15-20, and would like to meet with
any YSNers who will be there to discuss job opportunities in biomedical
magnetic resonance, particularly in vivo magnetic resonance
spectroscopy. If any of you plan on being there and would like to get
together, please drop me a line or leave me a message on the message
board at the meeting. By the way, if anyone is interested, Bernadine
Healy (former director of NIH) will be giving a keynote speech at this
meeting.

[NIH=National Institutes of Health.  -ed.]

==========

#B: YSN Moniker/Nickname
From: blessing () nuhepf phys nwu edu (Susan Blessing)

  I don't want a cute nickname!  I'm a member of a number of
organizations - The American Physical Society, Division of Particles and
Fields, American Association of University Women, League of American
Wheelmen, Bikecentennial, ....  None of these refer to their members by
nicknames.  APSie, DPFer, AAUWie, LAWer, Bikecentennialian???

  "Member(s) of YSN" or "YSN member(s)" is a fine way to refer to
ourselves and each other.

[Christopher Bowen, Heidi Hammel, and Bill Worthington concurred.]

From: kulick () leland Stanford EDU (Jonathan David Kulick)

  I lost the address of the survey taker re: official shorthand for YSN
affiliates, so I'm sending my suggestion to the network. To wit:
"YSNheimer" (pronounced, of course, "weisenheimer.")

==========

#C: Another solution to the puzzle
From: Davenport_Anne () lanmail ncsc navy mil (Anne Davenport)

  Well, if we're going to be *creative* in solving the 'connect the dots
with 3 lines or less' puzzle......I'd switch to polar coordinates. That
way 2 of my "straight" lines are circles that connect the 8 outer dots
connected by the 3rd line that goes through the middle. :)

               __---__
             /         \
                ~---~