Interesting People mailing list archives

#8 Exponential Library Growth

From: SCHULTZ () CDDIS GSFC NASA GOV <SCHULTZ () CDDIS GSFC NASA GOV>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 13:20:24 -0400 (EDT)

    In YSN #1314, Dean Schulze writes:

   Keisler does finally locate one of the causes of increasing costs:
libraries..........  The reason that libraries contribute to out-of-
control university costs is the outrageous inflation in the price of
journals and books, and the proliferation of marginal journals which
libraries feel compelled to subscrtibe to.

Maybe if universities did not force their professors to publish so
many useless papers in order to win tenure, but instead to publish
just a few papers when they had some meaningful results to report,
there wouldn't BE so many marginal journals which the libraries
would feel compelled to subscribe to, and my university wouldn't be
calling me to ask for money because they need to build an addition
onto the library to house all of those useless papers in perpetuity.
Just a thought

Dan Schultz