Interesting People mailing list archives

Welcome to the Big Dummy's Guide to Internet.

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 12:19:22 -0500

Welcome to the Big Dummy's Guide to Internet.

        The genesis of the Big Dummy's Guide was a few informal
conversations, which included Mitch Kapor of the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF) and Steve Cisler or Apple Computer, Inc. In June of 1991.
With the support of Apple Computer, EFF hired a writer (Adam Gaffin) and
actually took on the project in September of 1991.
        The idea was to write a guide to the Internet for folks who hand
little or no experience with network communications. We intended to post
this Guide to "the 'net" in ASCII and HyperCard formats and to give it away
on disk, as well as have a print edition available for a nominal charge.
With the consolidation of our offices to Washington, DC, we were able to
put the Guide on a fast track. You're looking at the realization of our
dreams--version one of the Guide. At the time I'm writing this we're still
fishing around for a book publisher, so the hard-copy version has not yet
been printed. We're hoping to update this Guide on a regular basis, so
please feel free to send us your comments and corrections.
        EFF would like to thank the folks at Apple , especially Steve
cisler of the Apple Library, for their support of our efforts to bring this
Guide to you. We hope it helps you open up a whole new world, where new
friends and experiences are sure to be yours. Enjoy!

Shari Steele, ssteele () eff org
Director of Legal Services and Community Outreach Electronic Frontier
Foundation
July 15, 1993

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/big-dummys-guide-to-internet.hqx; 280K]