Interesting People mailing list archives

##7 Other News, Etc. of Interest

From: Various <Various>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 93 22:00:02 PDT

#A: NM Meeting with Rep. Joe Skeen
#B: Next month in Ithaca... (YSN Get-together)
#C: Scientific American Letter
#D: Re: Liu Gang
#E: Re: The R in R&D

==========

#A: NM Meeting with Rep. Joe Skeen
From: jenc () pinet aip org (Jennifer Cohen)

  As an APS Congressional Home Visitor, I have scheduled a short meeting
with Rep. Joe Skeen in his Las Cruces, NM office on Monday, August 16 at
10:45 A.M.  Please contact me as soon as possible with ideas and/or
plans to attend.  I look forward to hearing from you.

==========

#B: Next month in Ithaca... (YSN Get-together)
From: GDC () LNS62 LNS CORNELL EDU (Glen Crawford)

  I'd like to invite all of my YSN colleagues who are attending the
Lepton-Photon Symposium at Cornell (Aug 10-15) to an informal
get-together (time and place to be determined by the respondents) to
meet each other and discuss ways to challenge the dominant paradigm.
Please contact me directly if you're interested.
  P.S. An informal meeting of YSNers resident in Ithaca (I know you're
out there) wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Contact me sometime _after_
the conference...

==========

#C: Scientific American Letter
From: grayce () chili mse uiuc edu (Christopher Grayce)

  One hundred people signed the letter Richard Fye and I composed, and
it has been mailed to "Scientific American."  The letter was only one
sheet of paper, but it went in a fat envelope because thirteen pages
were needed to print all the signatures.  Nice.  Thank you for all the
thoughtful comments I received.

==========

#D: Re: Liu Gang
From: ph274bo () prism gatech edu (Timothy K. Xia)

[Shortened post from YSN #1307.  -ed.]
  In [YSN #1305] Jon Gilligan wrote concerning Liu Gang in China.
  I greatly appreciate Jon's moral obligation to Liu Gang's case.
However, I would like to present a little bit more information about it.
Liu Gang got his B.S. from Chinese Science and Technology University at
Anhui Province, then he went to the Department of Physics, Beijing
University to pursue his masters degree in physics. After graduation, he
worked on and off in some business sectors for about two or more years
until he became greatly involved in the Tian-An-Men Square movement.
Thus the facts are clear: 1) Liu Gang was a physics student, but he was
not a physicist based on his lack of any active teaching or research
activities after obtaining his M.S. degree, unless we call everybody a
physicist if he or she once studied physics; 2) Liu Gang was not a
physics student when he participated in the movement, he had graduated
from Beijing University a few years ago.  Of course, Liu Gang's human
right should be respected no matter who he is, a physicist or not.

[MYSN notes that the term "physicist" is commonly used to describe a
 person who has received intensive training in physics.  -ed.]

==========

#E: Re: The R in R&D
From: aboufade () scus1 ctstateu edu (Ed Aboufadel)

[Shortened version of the YSN #1308 post.  -ed.]
  Last week I asked "How's your research going?"  There were a few
Science struck a chord in me. What do other people think of this letter
from Lea Kanner Bleyman of Baruch College, which was a response to the
"Women in Science" issue?
  "Most scientists (male or female) do not win prestigious prizes or do
ground-breaking work.  Most of us do some productive research and are
primarily employed in teaching colleges....Young women [or men] who are
going for the Ph.D. should be aware, however, that a very satisfactory
career choice is what I call the mid-level tract.  Too often
discouragement comes from "trying to do it all," and then ending up
doing nothing."