Interesting People mailing list archives

##4 Re: The Myth and Related Concerns

From: Todd Larchuk <tsl2 () ctr columbia edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 93 22:00:02 PDT

  Has this happened to you? Yesterday, we had a visitor to our
laboratory (where I am currently a postdoc). In the course of casual
conversation, I had occasion to mention that there are no jobs for
Ph.D.'s. Our visitor's response was "Wow, you mean that you have a Ph.D.
from a premier university and aren't getting tons of offers?! I have
heard that jobs are scarce, but I thought that only applied to lesser
students. Certainly YOU should not be having any trouble."  It is
becoming clear to me that only Ph.D.'s looking for work seem to know how
bad the job market is for EVERYBODY. I am certainly making it a point to
work THE MYTH into every conversation I have with colleagues, visitors,
even people on the street! I hope that we all do the same, but does
anyone have any suggestions on how to get the word out to more people? I
know that many anti-Myth articles have been written, but it appears that
a lot of people read only the titles.

==========

From: gilligan () central bldrdoc gov (Jonathan M. Gilligan)

  A recent article by Todd Larchuk (YSN #1307) points out that many
people falsely believe that the employment problems scientists face
apply only to lesser students. In support of the fact that these issues
are widely relevant, I would like to announce major awards received by
two of our very active members.
  Our administrator, ysn-adm, alias John D. Sahr, professor of
Electrical Engineering at the Univ. of Washington, was recently named a
National Young Investigator (formerly known as Presidential Young
Investigator) for his work using radar to study the ionosphere.
  John Palkovic, one of the YSN editors and the manager of the YSN
archives, and a physicist at the SSC laboratory, won the 1993 APS Award
for Outstanding Doctoral Research in Beam Physics for his research on
the physics of low-energy ion beams at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison.