Interesting People mailing list archives

Aiieee, run for your lives....

From: Noel Chiappa <jnc () ginger lcs mit edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 18:48:17 -0500

Aiiiieeee, run for your lives, the Great Unwashed Masses are coming! For those
of you who aren't capitalist pigs (i.e. readers of the Wall Street Journal
:-), if you look on the *front page* of the second section of today's WSJ, at
the very *top of the page* is the *giant headline*:

        "Cable Company Plans to Connect to the Internet"

Yes. *Our* Internet. If you read on, it talks about how Continental Cablevision
is going to sell a service, in partnership with PSI, where you use a special
modem to plug your PC into CC's cable systems, bypassing the RBOC's, at speeds
of up to 10 Mbits/sec; it's quite a long article.

Hmm, we better get TCP/IP ready for Prime Time. One amusing thing: they
describe the Internet as "information pathway to millions of personal-computer
users worldwide". Makes it sound like we all run MS-DOS...

        Noel