Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Ssh break that claims it was me?

From: "Viktor Larionov" <viktor.larionov () salva ee>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:21:28 +0200

Just as a matter of comment.
I absolutely agree with Kevin on this, especially as one may propose that the damage caused, may not necessarily be the
"unknown hacker"'s deed, but a system administrator fault or error, and eventually a result of his/her "pushing the
blame to someone else" attempt. In other words, "the butler" who deed this, may not necessarily be a stranger to this
organization.

On the other hand, correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, it is quite hard to convince federal law
enforcements to deal with cyber crimes even in United States. (not talking of other countries)
Usually theese investigations take a huge time to start, and enormous efforts to complete with anykind of result. No
results guaranteed of course, especially in the light of law officials not being really keen on dealing with cyber
crimes. (According to Larry from Spamhaus, 70% of FBI agents are on anti-terrorism cases after 9/11, so I guess you are
left with 30% of them on other cases, including cyber crime)
This may be a contra argument to Kevin, but it is surely worth to try, you don't lose anything and of course by this
you may show the client that you are also interested in investigating the case.

Regards and good luck!
Vik