Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird SSH attack last night and this morning (still ongoing)

From: Robert Taylor <rjamestaylor () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:04:13 -0500

It's extremely common to have these scans.

http://robotterror.com/site/wiki/mitigating_brute_force_password_attacks_with_pam_abl

That's a link to my blog. I'm a Linux System Admin at a major hosting company; this is something I see nightly. Usually, though, I see hits on the order of thousands per hour before I get worried.