Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: "Eduardo Tongson" <propolice () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:57:39 +0800

You make it sound so easy to gain root. I am aware that the Linux
kernel is not 100% guaranteed free from privilege escalation bugs. But
it is very important to know the escalation vector. Given that the
kernel used is fully updated and root SSH login dismissed do you know
a way of getting root without an unknown kernel bug?

   Ed <http://blog.eonsec.com>

My finger points at PHP, indirectly, through a hole in an application
giving a remote attacker local user privs. Once they're in your system,
all bets are off - even if they're not root yet, they could be sometime
soon.

Graeme