Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible Mail server compromise ?

From: "Faas M. Mathiasen" <faas.m.mathiasen () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 00:35:53 +0100

Dear Vicky (Hope this is correct),

Thanks for your input, please see comments inline :)

- Are you employees allowed to check email through Outlook Web Interface
integrated by MS Exchange Server? If Yes, then there is a problem.
The server is not directly reachable from the outside, we don't use OWI

- Do you have Trust-Relationship with either employee who could be able to
do such things? (Internal Threat)
Noted
- 0day exploits will not be easily available to anybody until and unless you
have connections with those people who work 24/7 over this.
They only have to be available to the attacker, I guess ;) Depends on who you
have against you, the level we protect ourselves against is
industrial espionage.  Let's say we are an interesting target.

- This might be caused by some third-party application exploit present on
your outgoing/incoming open network (internet - untrusted zone) gateway.
Noted, checks ongoing actually :)

- Deploy/develop custom signatures (customize the Firewall/IDS rules for
incoming email to check for any specific patterns) for similar spam emails
to stop them from entering you mail server.
The data that went out were not your typical e-mails unfortunately :(

While in consideration of above statements, there are many other dimensions
to look at before approaching to the results of investigation directly.

Good Luck!
Thanks :)