Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious files in /tmp

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:08:19 +0100

Hi there,

It looks like the bot exploits a remote file include in
mosConfig_absolute_path - I think this would be Mambo or a component
of Mambo. It looks a lot like a compromise attempt I saw a year or so
back - http://infosecwriters.com/texts.php?op=display&id=416  [pdf,
sorry].

In the one I saw, initially, the mosConfig_absolute_path vulnerability
was exploited to drop and execute a connect-back shell. (Cb.pl and
cback seem to be connect back shells of the same type as I saw.) In
mine, the connect back shell immediately downloaded a perl bot which
had similar spreading code in it to your 'bot' file. (ie. search
google for potentially vulnerable Mambo installs and attempt to
exploit them.)

Have you ever had Mambo on this box? Try grepping your apache logs for
'mosConfig_absolute_path=http'

If it's any consolation, in the one I saw, they didn't bother to make
the bot persistent after reboot, nor to install a rootkit.

cheers,
Jamie