Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: HTTP worm?

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:13:16 -0400

Using port 80/tcp or any other well-known port (23/tcp, 22/tcp, 21/tcp,
etc.) was an old trick back when firewalls were nothing more than
stateless ACLs and people neede to allow 'return traffic' from those
ports for connections initiated from the inside (and forgot the
"established" keyword ;))

Maybe someone is trying the same old technique again? And hoping it
flies under the radar? What packets are you seeing? Are those SYN? FIN?
What tool gave you the alarm? An IDS? IPS? Netflow?

The fact of not having PTR records is interesting - but NOT teling.
Think "people on PPPoE/DHCP hosting their own web server for sharing X,
and not using DynDNS or similar service"

Setup a honeypot? Become the next Clifford Stoll ? :)

Dario