Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 02:29:56 -0400

--On October 13, 2006 10:46:34 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:33:12 CDT, Paul Schmehl said:

(Digging out from a long week of other stuff, sorry for the late
response)

Its purpose is to reject *all* mail from bogus MTAs - dialups,
misconifigured servers, MTAs that aren't registered in the domains' DNS
as a "legal" MX, MTAs that don't reverse properly, etc., etc.  If the
email is

"mta that aren't registered in the DNS as a "legal" MX" - tell me Paul,
how does that work with any site that's big enough that they run split
inbound MX and outbound servers?

Send me an email at geek () stovebolt com, and I'll tell you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "split inbound and outbound", but any
outbound MX host *should* be listed in DNS.  You only list one -
smtp.vt.edu.  192.82.162.213 is reversible, so it would get points for
being honest about its IP/hostname, but it would lose points for not being
listed in DNS as an MX.  The overall score would determine if the mail was
rejected, but I doubt that it would be.

Easy enough to tell.  Send me mail.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and
its attachments could have been infected during transmission. By reading the
message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full
responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and
other defects. The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage
arising in any way from this message or its attachments.

<<application/ms-tnef>>