Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Phishing Technique?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:49:10 -0500

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:59:39 EST, Mace.Scott () tatravelcenters com said:
A couple of phishing emails got through our spamassasin/clamav filter here
at work, and through to my gmail account, damn near simultaneously.  Both
with very different text, and different urls.  Now clamav is generally
very capable of stopping phishing attacks, so I'm surprised these made it
through.  More interesting, is the fact one got through Gmail as well. And
it's very obvious a phish.  Here's the text of the email (I added 11111 to
the end of the url to guard against accidental clicking):
 Incidentally, Lotus Notes complains of an untrusted certificate when the
email is opened.

Dear Chase account holder,

Looks like a pretty stock phish to me.  It would have helped immensely if you
had posted the original as you received it, complete with any obfuscating
Javascript/etc, so we could figure out how it managed to get through.

If you're worried about posting it to the list, forward it directly to me
(preferably as a message/rfc822 attachment with all the headers and all) and
I'll forward it to the appropriate people who are chasing down phishes.