Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible AIM Hack?

From: "Steven" <steven () lovebug org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:48:01 -0500

Well like I said it could be a number of things but if you cannot logon anymore as I said then there's a good chance of a compromise. The whole part about not being able to logon anymore would indicate a persistent problem that is permanent and not some problem signing on for a few minutes. That would mean you couldn't logon right after getting kicked off, 10 mins later, 6 hours later, 5 days later, etc. Additionally, if some server that gives a yea/nay is on a coffe + donut break -- what would that have to do with kicking you offline after already being authenticated?

Let's see it's been at least a day. Can you logon now? If the answer is yes.. chances are someone didn't steal your account. If the answer is no -- I'll go with you're compromised or you forgot your password. Anyway that's just one possible reason which defintely occurs quite frequently to people with desirable screen names or that have pissed off someone.

Steven

----- Original Message ----- From: <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>