Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scans for telnetd on DNS servers.

From: "Pavel Kankovsky" <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:32:45 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

      In the past hour I've seen 43 scans for telnetd (port 23) on a
single DNS box.  Most of these scans are coming from Asia, but a number
are originating from South America as well.  These are not network sweeps;
they are aimed solely at DNS systems.

I observed a sudden increase of 23/tcp probes on Feb 28 at 16:00 GMT
(from more or less zero to approx. 1500 probes per hour). It lasted for
10 hours, then it stopped almost quickly as it started. It was neither a
focused probing of a certain kind of devices, nor any systematic sweep --
various IP addresses (including broadcast and other reserved addresses) in
our network were hit in a seemingly random manner.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."