Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 0day worm spreading through Yahoo webmail

From: Jesse Gough <jgough () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:19:26 -0600

More information available at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.yamanner () m html

Its purpose appears to be to propagate and harvest email addresses,
and submit them to a spam database.

-JG

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:23:50AM -0600, Jesse Gough wrote:
In case anyone hasnt seen this yet, be careful about using your yahoo
webmail accounts.

-JG

----- Forwarded message from David Loyall <david.loyall () gmail com> -----

Hello, all.

I just received an email with an html attachment, on a yahoo account.

When I opened the mail, yahoo automatically displayed the html, and executed
the code within.  What the hell. =)  It forwarded the message to my contacts
list, (or some other set of addresses, dunno,) and redirected my browser to
a website.

I'm of to a BBQ, and I don't care about yahoo.  So I'm not even going to
read the code and see how this happens.  I'm attaching the html file as a
text file.  Enjoy!

Oh, I've CC'd abuse () yahoo com, but if someone else would give them a proper
write-up, and encourage them to close the hole, that'd be wonderful.

Cheers,
--David Loyall
Omaha, Nebraska
David Loyall <http://david.loyall.googlepages.com>