Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Bogon IPs traffic only seen by netflow, confined within a VLAN only

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:17:18 -0700

  This might be good advice in a similar context, but addresses with
a "0" first octet are "local broadcast" addresses.  Packets with this
as a destination will be broadcast throughout the segment, and typically
accepted and received by the host(s) whose remaining three octets match.
(I had a recent incident here where Ettercap, or some similar tool, was
trying to rely on this to forward intercepted packets to their original
destination.  Unfortunately, that was more broadcast traffic than that
VLAN could support....)

  In this case, the poster was seeing them as (spoofed?) source addresses.
Hmmm.  I wonder if that could have been intended to provoke a broadcast
storm of replies?

  In any case, trying to actually use such a beast as a configured address
seems like a Really Bad Idea.

David Gillett