Security Incidents mailing list archives

DNS Query Details from 209.200.168.66

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:59:59 -0800

Great to find people logging DNS traffic :) As mentioned, most of the traffic is part of a mechanism for measuring the damage from Sony's activities.

WRT the Base32 names--

The Base32 stuff is part of a technique that's attempting to decode the actual topology of DNS. DNS servers can be configured in a forwarding relationship, whereby instead of going up to the root servers, they access peers. Sometimes the peer relationships can get quite complex -- and these relationships all cause cache pollution that degrades the quality of my Sony data. So I'm working to clean that aspect up: In the Base32 name, there exists a cookie. The cookie documents the server I sent a request to. I compare the stored IP with the IP that comes back to me to resolve a query. (This technique is mentioned in my 2005 slides, see www.doxpara.com for details).

The other names -- email me privately for details, if you want to know. Let me know if you have any further queries. My research goal is to be aware of threats to the global infrastructure, and Sony's operations do appear to have had global consequences (and set a rather terrifying example!).

--Dan