Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Netscreen 5XT SSH Traffic

From: "Dante Mercurio" <Dante () webcti com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:38:47 -0500

I can't tell from your email what indications you currently have that
this came through the firewall and was not spoofed from the inside in
some manner. I've always found the Netscreen to be a pretty secure
device and this would be a serious flaw.

Are there any other methods onto the network such as dial-in, VPN, or
vendor connections? Attacks can originate from any of these without a
flaw in the firewall software.

M. Dante Mercurio, CISSP, CWNA, Security+, SCSP