Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Pubstro rash

From: k levinson <levinson_k () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:09:40 -0800 (PST)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gillett [mailto:gillettdavid () fhda edu]

3.  Instead of a random high port, the installed FTP
server
listens on port 53.  Which I can't block, because
DNS may
need to use it, right?

No.  Destination ports TCP/UDP 53 should not be
allowed inbound to your workstations.  Dest ports
TCP/UDP 53 are only needed in to your network if you
have your own DNS server for resolution of your own
domain names by clients on the Internet, and then it
should only be to your DNS server.  It sounds like
your firewall rules could use some inspection.

Said another way, the rule on your firewall that
permits Internet hacker:port x -> your network:port 53
is a different than the rule that permits your
clients:x -> Internet DNS:53, and blocking the former
rule should have no effect on your internal clients
accessing Internet DNS.

You may also seriously want to consider setting up
your own DNS server, even a Windows one, so that no
clients can send outbound to dest port TCP/UDP 53 to
the Internet, only your DNS server.  A proxy server or
firewall that proxies is a possibility as well, to try
to ensure that port 53 traffic is DNS and not
something else being tunneled.

Using NAT between your workstations and the Internet
might have prevented some or all of this, if it is
possible to do this in your environment.

5.  At this point, I don't know how the machines are
getting
compromised initially.  I'd appreciate if anyone
else is seeing
this pattern and has some insight they'd care to
share.

These things are usually because of something well
known, such as a missing patch, or via a security
problem that has nothing to do with a patch, like a
bad password or poorly configured settings.  You can
of course run MBSA from Microsoft to find what patches
are missing, free from www.microsoft.com/mbsa.  If
MBSA states that all patches are installed, then it
might be fruitful to hypothesize about other possible
vectors.  Knowing what ports are open inbound to the
workstations and what if anything up to date AV
scanners showed might be useful too.

- Karl