Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange software > winsupdater.exe

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:30:59 +1300

Valdis to Harlan:

However, you _can_ get a warm fuzzy if the file has
the MS file version information compiled into it.

And you verify the authenticity of your warm fuzzy how, exactly?

Rumour has it that MS will be making its WarmFuzzy Verifer beta release
within a month...

const char MS_version[] = "bogus MS file version info goes here";

Well, it is done a bit differently from that, but the basic idea is
right.

And it's already been done.  Heaps.  Especially by some of the adware
developers...

(Remember - we've already had major worms that crafted a totally bogus

Yep -- even the skiddies have thought of this level of trivial
deception.

That warm fuzzy can be increased if the file is
digitally signed by MS.

First, go back and re-read http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-04.html

8-)

Second, remember that you're worried that the machine is compromised - and
you're asking it to verify the signature.  Again, if the box is compromised,
the DLL that verifies signatures could be backdoored as well.

Indeed, although to date I certainly haven't seen this done and don't
recall hearing of this level of deception.  It's probably not far off
though -- it would be a trivial addition to any of the modestly clever
rootkits, but does not require that degree of complexity.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald