Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Global DNS Cache poisoning?

From: lasnews <lasnews () csus edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:00:49 -0800

Russell Guthrie wrote:

SANS is reporting a potential DNS cache poisoning.  Has anyone heard or seen anything to confirm this?

SANS Internet Storm Center - http://isc.sans.org/

Updated March 4th 2005 18:11 UTC (Handler: Kyle Haugsness)

Global DNS cache poisoning attack?

We are currently investigating a report from several sites that indicate users being re-directed to malware sites. At this time it appears to be a DNS cache poisoning attack (not a spyware, adware, or browser hijack) and we are seeking more information.

Popular domain names such as google.com, ebay.com, and weather.com are being directed to the following servers. Of course when connecting to these servers, "bad things" (tm) will happen, so don't go to them.

www.7sir7.com (217.160.169.87)
123xxl.com (217.160.169.87, 207.44.240.79, 216.127.88.131)
abx4.com (217.160.169.87, 207.44.240.79, 216.127.88.131)

If your site has been affected, please submit the following information:
1. When the attack was first noticed and whether it is still occurring.
2. What DNS server software you having facing the Internet. This information will be kept in strictest confidence. 3. If you identified any other sites that users were being re-directed to (besides the ones listed above).

Updates will be made to this diary as we find out more information.