Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Digital forensics of the physical memory

From: David Pick <d.m.pick () qmul ac uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:57:03 +0100

George and Ben,

The original author does at one point use the term "image" to describe his
evidence collection process.  I think that use of this term was unfortunate
because it invites comparison with classical approaches to evidence
gathering and standards.  It is not possible to "image" a reality that is
constantly changing.

Could you suggest a suitable term to use?

A "smear," on the other hand, is a pejorative term
which assumes that a changing reality cannot
therefore be measured accurately.

Perhaps you're correct about the use of the term
"smear"...but how would you go about accurately
measuring the changes that occur during the use of
dd.exe?

I think "image" might be reasonably applied *if* the number of
changes is sufficiently small. Think of an "image" taken by a
camera with a focal-plane shutter... and the "image" generated
by the sort of camera used to resolve "photo-finishes"...

But we have to be clear that the "image" may not be taken at
one instant of time, or between twqo machine bus-cycles.

--
        David Pick