Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port Zero

From: Andrew Simmons <asimmons () messagelabs com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:46:12 +0100

nony101 () last za net wrote:
I had in incident yesterday (18 June 2005),

I guess you meant July :)

where a client's Windows box listed almost every possible port as open,
>listening in the same way described above. Similiar netstat -an output
as above. From my experience this isn't normal.

ditto

A few hours later the machine rapidly starting sending packets to random addresses on port 443.

I guess you mean "apparently random" in that you couldn't see a pattern... were the IPs probed running HTTPS servers? Did you get a packet capture? Was there any other traffic from this machine - ICMP?

\a

(speaking for myself only)

--
Andrew Simmons