Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: A bit strange ARP queries

From: "Dave Hawkins" <DaveH () Radware com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:48:28 -0500

I have seen and used similar techniques for health checking of a server:
check a static ARP entry by sending an ARP request for the server's IP
to the MAC I trust.  This (to a degree) overcomes IP conflicts and ARP
hijacking.  We did this to produce a failover mechanism - the backup
unit would directly ARP it's primary, and failing to hear a response,
would broadcast a gratuitous ARP taking control of the primary's address
(better living through ARP spoofing?).  This was before we started using
VRRP.

This could also be a method of discovering faulty configurations versus
bad user behavior.  For example, if my ARP monitoring notices two or
three machines MACs using the same source IP, this ARP would tell us if
the activity was a misconfiguration of the machines' nic, or if it was
the result of spoofing software.  Since the IP address may not be bound
to the interface (just put in promisc mode and told to process layer3
traffic), a negative response may indicate the IP was used by a process
that's no longer active.  A positive response might be someone adding an
IP they weren't supposed to use.  This isn't fool-proof (or even a safe
assumption) since it's trivial to overcome...

-Dave