Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: hacked server, DDoS bin installed -- To put it another way...

From: Christine Kronberg <Christine_Kronberg () genua de>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:24:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Rembrandt wrote:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:32:32 -0600
Ron <iago () valhallalegends com> wrote:

A similar question: let's say you stumble upon a DDoS net.  Say, a
friend leads you there, or you find a server that has 1000 random names
logged in.  Is it possible to report the server, even though you haven't
been infected, and if so, how?

Nobody will shutdown IRC-Networks... ;-)))

Btw: I'm from Europe and here we can report crimes even we're not
involved...

BUT

a) Do you think they'll care? 1000 Bots are nothing today...

  Yes. At least in my experience.

b) Do you think they'll care for computers from foreign countries?

  Depends. The cooperation between different countries can be
  cumbersome (according to the LKA).

c) Do you think it will "help" somebody?

  If enough is reported - yes. Keep in mind: if none complains
  this is interpreted as "nothing is happening". Then not caring
  is the standard procedure. But once enough people do report,
  a problem can be made obvious and a reaction (collaboration
  or whatever) can be triggered.

Fighting Bot-Networks is the fight against human idioty...

  Even human beings are said to be able to learn...   ;-)

And that's a fight you'll loose. :-)

  Only if you don't fight it.

  Cheers,

  Chris Kronberg.