Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Systems compromised with ShellBOT perl script - part 2

From: Shashank Rai <shashrai () emirates net ae>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:30:32 +0400

Hi Kirby,

great work!! is it possible to get the gzipped files? BTW as for doze4
... a scan with f-prot (linux cmd line edition) identifies it as
"Infection: Unix/RST.B". An online scan on
http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html also identifies doze4 as
Linux.RST.b
Here is Spohos description of RST.B (from
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/linuxrstb.html):
------
Linux/Rst-B will attempt to infect all ELF executables in the current
working directory and the directory /bin

If Linux/Rst-B is executed by a privileged user then it may attempt to
create a backdoor on the system. This is achieved by opening a socket
and listening for a particular packet containing details about the
origin of the attacker and the command the attacker would like to
execute on the system.

There was a discussion on FD recently, where the original poster had
started a Debian machine with port 22 open and a non-priv user id of
guest/guest .... in order to be a victim of the recent SSH scans. The
crackers who got into this system had also downloaded RST.B infected
binary.

cheers,
--
Shashank Rai