Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Uptick in telnetd scanners - possible worm activity.

From: "Donahue, Pat" <pdonahue () acmicorp com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:03:57 -0400

Jay,

Cisco publicly released an advisory on August 27th concerning
vulnerabilities in the telnet daemon for IOS. Perhaps these scans,
which took place less than a week before the public release, were an
attempt to find exploitable network devices. I've pasted the summary
from the Bugtraq post. See the link in the summary for the full
information.

Regards,
Pat

Summary
=======

A specifically crafted Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) connection
to a telnet or reverse telnet port of a Cisco device running
Internetwork Operating System (IOS) may block further telnet, reverse
telnet, Remote Shell (RSH), Secure Shell (SSH), and in some cases
Hypertext Transport Protocol (HTTP) access to the Cisco device.
Telnet, reverse telnet, RSH and SSH sessions established prior to
exploitation are not affected.

All other device services will operate normally. Services such as
packet forwarding, routing protocols and all other communication to
and through the device are not affected.

Cisco will make free software available to address this
vulnerability.
Workarounds, identified below, are available that protect against
this vulnerability.

This vulnerability is documented in Cisco bug ID CSCef46191 (
registered customers only) .

This Advisory is available at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20040827-telnet.shtml.