Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Localhost packets on WAN

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:23:10 -0700

Blaster blowback is directed at the machine that generated
the traffic, and
occurs on the LAN of the infected host. If some miracle of
misconfiguration
guided a 127.0.0.1-destined packet out the gateway onto the upstream
network, what upstream device would answer a SYN to 127.0.0.1
that did not
originate from its own interface?

  WRONG!  (But see further down, below the "--".)

  Blaster blowback is directed to the spoofed addresses generated
randomly by the blaster virus code, and traverses whatever networks
it needs to to get from the infected machine to those addresses.
  The 127.0.0.1-destined traffic never traverses *any* network; it
occurs completely within the infected host.  The infected host is
answering SYNs that its own DoS code generated to its own loopback
interface.  It's sending the *answers* out an interface, toward
the sources that were spoofed on the SYNs.  [It's true, a "bulletproof"
implementation of the stack COULD reject anything for a 127.*.*.*
address that didn't originate from one ON THIS MACHINE, but only if
the stack implementers were willing to commingle layer 2 and layer 3
info to detect this special case.  It's no surprise that real-world
stacks don't bother.]

The source MAC address said the traffic was coming from my
upstream's Cisco
router. One day after my upstream stopped the traffic at my
request, it has
reappeared. More reason for suspicion, and Blaster still
doesn't explain it.

  The source address of any outside-originated traffic will be
that of the gateway that last handled it.  The infected machine
is outside your network; it is possible to block this traffic
at a gateway somewhere between the infected machine and your
network.  The point the ISP chose might not be the only gateway
between your network and every infected machine in the world....

I don't know what it is. But it is simple to prove what it is
*not* with the evidence already provided.

  You've proven only that you don't understand the "Blaster blowback"
scenario, and that a *single* infected machine PROBABLY doesn't account
for all of the traffic you've seen.

--

... what upstream device would answer a SYN to 127.0.0.1
that did not originate from its own interface?

  Almost any properly-working one, PROVIDED THAT ITS PHYSICAL
MAC ADDRESS ON THE LOCAL LAN WAS SPECIFIED AS THE DESTINATION.
This, of course, is only possible from within the same LAN segment,
**and is not actually part of the "Blaster blowback" hypothesis**.
(See above; the SYNs in this hypothesis DO originate from its own
interface.)  But the fact that you ask this question suggests that
your understanding of the operation of the network stack may not
be any more solid than your understanding of the hypothesis itself.

David Gillett