Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: CERT Software

From: Lionel Ferette <lionel.ferette () belnet be>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:37:22 +0100

Hello,

In the wise words of Brian Peister, on Tuesday 16 November 2004 21:27:
Does anyone know of or has used CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team)
software? I reviewed Guidance software's Encase Enterprise product,  and
it's mostly focused on the forensics aspect of indecent handling. I'm
looking for a software product that stream-lines the Computer security
incident handling process (Similar to SANS 6 phases of incident handling)
I guess you'll hear a few words about Remedy (http://www.remedy.com/) or RT/IR
(http://www.bestpractical.com/rtir/). They are not specifically mapped on the
SANS 6 phases, but they do the job. At BELNET CERT we use RT/IR, which has
the advantage (for us) of being open-source, and thus allows us to tune it
where needed.

The handling process is the following:
Incident Report(s) -> Incident -> Investigation(s) -> Firewall-level blocks
(if needed)
Don't misunderstand the 'firewall-level blocks' part: RT/IR does not interface
with your firewall, but allows you to keep track of what is blocked at what
level, and why (thanks to the links to the incidents).

Best regards,

Lionel

--
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Lionel Ferette
BELNET CERT Coordinator

Tel: +32 2 7903385                  http://cert.belnet.be/
Fax: +33 2 7903375                  PGP Key Id: 0x5662FD4B