Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: TCP port 5000 syn increasing

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:27:22 +0200

When I read the original post, I actually thought the poster meant a
back-tunnel to the master agent, so that zombies in a closed network could
communicate with their handlers, and I thought it was a pretty sneaky idea.

if the person means tunnel into a network, well that's completely silly.

but a bot that 'quietly' - meaning somehow less than randomly - infects
boxes in corporate networks, and then goes out over port 80 with legitimate
looking http traffic would be pretty evil. more likely, however, to be of
use to advanced blackhats that to sKiddie's and their ilk.