Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Piece of spyware

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:54:40 -0400

On Sun, 16 May 2004 21:40:28 +0800, Sarbjit Singh Gill <ssgill () gilltechnologies com>  said:

I mean one can see when Windows 2003 is installed by default the IE is
locked down even for local network. This is for one good reason: nobody is
going to use the IE to access a web server while locally logged on the
Windows 2003 server.

The server misbehaves.. you login.. you poke around.. you find you need to go
to look at an MS KB article or visit windowsupdate or go to a 3rd party
vendor's website....  Yeah.. *sure* you're going to walk back to your office
and use IE there so you can download something and then copy it to the server,
when you can just launch IE right there...

Happens all too often - I'm willing to bet that even the most
security-conscious of us has done that at least once in our careers....

(Anybody out there willing to swear on a <insert appropriate holy book here>
that they've *never* launched a browser on a server while trying to fix/upgrade
something? :)