Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan of somesort

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:02:45 -0500

--On Monday, May 24, 2004 8:30 AM +0000 Bob the Builder <builder173 () hotmail com> wrote:

Hi,
I am currently doing an investigation into a compromised system. Before
pulling the plug I netcatted to a suspicous open port and received the
following banner:           220 SiGN - FR33-FXP3rs - On Da FUcKiNG C@S£!!!
I am presuming this to be the welcome banner for a trojan horse of some
sort. Has anybody seen this before or does anybody know anything about it
or what Trojan this might be?

Looks like taggers to me. Run an antivirus program against it, looking for all files, heuristics, the whole enchilada. I'll bet you'll find ServU-FTP. Also, look in the Recycled folders on any hard drives on the machine. (Not the recycle bin, the actually directory on the hard drive, which is hidden by default.) Look in %system32%\drivers. Search for all files created in the past x days (based on when you think it was compromised.

Search for all *.ini files and open any strange ones or ones that were created recently.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member