Security Incidents mailing list archives

Dead Thread: New phishing scheme...

From: Daniel Hanson <dhanson () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:08:43 -0700 (MST)

We've moved into arguing simple semantics and what can be concluded from
those, so this thread is now dead.

As a background note, I tend to reject posts that identify primarily
social engineering tactics simply because there are so many that get
posted to the list, and I don't know what can be done outside of education
of the user. Paraphrasing something I read somewhere a few days ago, with
some of the viruses spreading these days, users really have to TRY and get
infected (open a image file, type the word into the zip program, run
program), and I don't know that anyone knows how you deal with that. This
topic will surface again in a few months, or when some new tactic is
working well.

Cheerio

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040301