Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Interesting DNS update traffic

From: "Sean Brown" <srbrown () appgeo com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:03:11 -0500

Thanks for the helpful replies.  The strange traffic continued
intermittantly yesterday from 13:06 to 13:29 and then again from 19:13
through 20:36.  My logs don't show the traffic during the previous week
and I have not seen it yet today.  I've written a snort rule to watch
for it again.

I do not think it is Calypso since the Calypso trojan sends malformed
DNS query packets to a destination machine on port 53.  What I'm seeing
are malformed DNS responses from a source port 53 to destination 1026.
I haven't seen a reference to this pattern before though I looked into
it being the result of the Windows popup scam reported here:
http://www.lurhq.com/popup_spam.html

This could be a way to determine the presence of the windows popup vuln
by sending a reply from a known and usually trusted source UDP port, 53.
If your firewall is blocking UDP to 1026 but allowing DNS replies from
port 53, you are vulnerable.  Just a guess.

Anyway, correlations would be nice if anyone has seen it.

Cheers,
Sean