Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Simple Windows incident response methodology

From: "Lachniet, Mark" <mlachniet () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:55:48 -0400

For example, if there is any suspicion of child pornography, we punt it
towards a forensically sound investigation.  If there is financial
fraud, it could go either way (due to fear of negative publicity
out-weighing legal recourse).  If its normal hacking or warez, it
usually fine to just figure out what happened, and move along, since
most law enforcement don't want to mess with it anyway.

It is not a bad idea to have a list of criteria, approved by legal
counsel, as part of your IR plan, but for that matter, legal should be
part of the planning process anyway.

Mark Lachniet