Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Anyone else seeing SSH scans?

From: Charles Heselton <charles.heselton () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:20:26 -0700

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:00:24 -0700, Matthew Dharm
<mdharm () one-eyed-alien net> wrote:
I've noticed that several *NIX machines I have running (all of which are
located in the same IP block) are periodically getting scanned via ssh for
the accounts 'test' and 'guest'.

The source IP varies with each scan.  But I'm getting about one of these a
day now.  Obviously, I don't have accounts with that name on my systems,
but still....

Is this something new, or just people looking for badly configured
machines?

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm () one-eyed-alien net
Senior Software Designer, Momentum Computer

P:  Nine more messages in admin.policy.
M: I know, I'm typing as fast as I can!
                                       -- Pitr and Mike
User Friendly, 11/27/97

Most likely the latter.  I haven't heard of any new SSH exploits since
the last batch.  As long as you're up to date, I would suspect that
you're fine.

--
Charlie Heselton
Network Security Engineer