Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH attacks?

From: Merlijn Tishauser <merlijn () begeleidingentraining nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:05:19 +0200

<oeps, my repy was to original sender only>
On 28-jul-04, at 10:19, Christine Kronberg wrote:
Has anyone tried to capture that with an honeypot? I'm considering
  that for my own but lack the proper enviroment.

Hi
Located in Holland I see exactly the same...
Apart from the usual SK toolkits with a lot of account-names, I also see the test/guest accounts coming by.

The ipaddresses are too random and the scan happens to often for SK work me thinks.
Looks like a worm or root-kit.
What surprises me is that they don't try a password.
They just knock at the door and say hello with their username.
So I think it's certainly a version-check.

But I agree with the above...This calls for a honeypot...I hope someone has the time and motivation to set one up...
For sofar I know this thing hasn't got a name yet...
I don't like things without a name

Cheers

Merlijn