Security Incidents mailing list archives

Increase in TCP 6129 (Dameware) scans?

From: Kevin Patz <jambo_cat () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:39:39 -0800 (PST)

Lately I've been seeing a dramatic increase in scans
on TCP port 6129, which belongs to the Dameware Mini
Remote Control. From 1/17 on I've seen from 17 to 50
attempts per day, steadily increasing.

Looking on incidents.org, there are some comments that
seem to indicate that there could be a trojan that
installs Dameware and allows hackers to gain control
of such infected PCs. Either that or there is a
vulnerability in Dameware or a lot of improperly
secured installations of it.

Any comments?  This seems to be the #1 "trojan" port
scan lately, surpassing SubSeven and Kuang2.