Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Yet another Visa scam scheme

From: Raffael Marty <rmarty () arcsight com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:18:48 -0800

I read that US Federal Government a set up email alert system trying to send
out cyber alerts. Like others, I am wondering how effective this could be.

In today's faked e-world, everything can be forged. Someone might fake cyber
alerts and try to lure others to click on buttons or run attachments. Today,
I received the following phishing email. I checked the link out and checked
the page asking for PIN, Visa Number. It looks so real.

You are neglecting the fact that those emails are PGP signed. It's up to
the reader to verify the signature, but I'd say that you can expect a
security analyst to check the signature before he believes (and acts
upon) the contents of such an email.

        Raffy

--

Raffael Marty, CISSP                          raffael.marty () arcsight com
Senior Security Engineer                    Content Team @ ArcSight Inc.