Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: WebDav Worm?

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () umn edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:43:58 -0600

Keith T. Morgan wrote:
Maybe this is old news, or maybe it's scanning pattern is just now
making it to my netblocks, but we're seeing a massive increase in http
connections asking for SEARCH
/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA on most
of our web servers.  Each one is preceeded by a packet with a 1348 byte
payload containing a mix of what appears to be unicode followed by what
appears to be psuedo random ascii padding.  An example of one of these
is included below.

Has anyone else been seeing this type of activity increasing?  We've
been seeing so much of it that I have to wonder if it's a worm.  The
volume's a little too high for skr1pt k1dd13 activity, unless there
happens to be a whole bunch of them using the same tool in the same
manner at the same time.

Yep. Nachi.B (or Welchia.B, whatever you want to call it.)

Brian

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php