Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Possible new Bugbear

From: "James C Slora Jr" <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:34:42 -0500

It's a very typical Bugbear message. Bugbear does not use a fixed set of
messages. It often takes portions of email found on the infected computer
and uses them as the delivery message. It also grabs sender and recipient
addresses from the same pile of email and takes the attachment name from
files on the infected computer. It often matches subjects and senders or
recipients, so sometimes its delivery appears to be a perfectly legitimate
message.

It is old, but still very much in circulation.

Since this was Bugbear.b.dam it was damaged and incapable of executing as
Bugbear.b.

But virus detection is generally "first and out", so detection of Bugbear
does not preclude additional infections within the file. And executing a
viral file can in some cases cause actions on the computer even if
anti-virus detects an infection after execution. In other words, the test
machine _might_ now be infected with something else that is not yet detected
by your anti-virus. Probably not, but maybe.

Saving the attachment to a file is usually the only action required to get a
virus scan. You can usually force a manual scan of the saved file, too, so
you can see the scan run.

If you want to fully analyze a strange attachment to learn exactly what it
is and discover any secondary infections that might exist in it, that is a
whole skill in itself. If not, it is best to not run (open) it at all.

Bugbear seems to pick a "favorite" attachment name from the infected
computer. You may receive more Bugbear messages with completely different
contents but with the same attachment name if they come from the same
source.