Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Increase seen in port probes since Tuesday afternoon

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:32:14 -0500

James C Slora Jr wrote:
BahdKo wrote Thursday, December 30, 2004 04:23
Since Tuesday afternoon EST I've seen a dramatic increase in the number of machines probing my network on ports 2745, 1025, 3127, 6129, and usually 80. Each probe involves the machine sending three packets to each port.

Yes from time to time. The port pattern is typical of many botnets, many of
which will focus multiple drones against a particular IP space for a while.

I'm seeing 80, 1025, 6129, and 1433 increases in tcp, and 1434, 1026, and 1027 udp. The usual 135/445 are present as always but I haven't paid much attention to a 'marked increase' as they long ago drifted into the pool of "background noise".

Jeff