Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: UDP Port Sweep question

From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare () nihongo org>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:11:21 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Billy Dodson wrote:

Here is some more info regarding the port sweeps.  The port the client
is being hit on seems to vary.  The client is being hit on the same 8
port range from each IP port 33434-33460.  All 3 sensors from the 3
different clients show the same destination port range.  The sensors are
cisco IDS sensors and I am unsure as to how to get the actual packet
from the event.

That port range smells like traceroutes. I've seen a lot of that kind of traffic to nameservers, mail servers and HTTP proxies. It often originates from load balancing DNS systems and other such things.

--
Benjamin Franz

"All right, where is the answer? The battle of wits has begun.
It ends when you click and we both serve pages - and find out who is right,
and who is slashdotted." - David Brandt