Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: SIP based attacks??

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:30:02 -0800

      Last I saw, the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) was
being championed exclusively by Microsoft and everyone else
was using the IETF standard XMPP.

This is a Joke, right?  I am unsure how a comment so lacking in accuracy
or even informational content passed moderation!  Nothing is actually
contributed to the requestor's interest in _known_attacks_ on a
widely-deployed, standard technology.

SIP, Session Initiation Protocol, is described as an IETF RFC 3261.
Draft participants include Avaya, Ericsson and AT&T - not Microsoft!
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt

SIP is an Internet-style plain-text protocol, described as analogous to
SMTP and HTTP.  The IETF charter for the SIP Working Group, with links
to all relevant RFCs, is here for review:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sip-charter.html

Products incorporating the SIP protocol are extensively catalogued -
vendors include:
AT&T, Lucent, Cisco, Ericsson, Nortel.  MS is not even represented in
this inventory:
http://www.pulver.com/products/sip/

Until very recently, Microsoft was a backer of an earlier, inferior
rival to SIP- the H.323 protocol.  This is evidenced in the NetMeeting
software, which MS is currently deprecating in favor of SIP-enabling MS
Messenger and Live Communications Server.

--
Jeremiah Cornelius
CISSP CCNA MCSE+Sec